High winds and rain from hurricanes have the potential to damage wastewater treatment facilities leading to long, unplanned outages. As we are in the midst of another hurricane season, it is essential for wastewater management teams to take appropriate measures to prepare. Many facilities have developed their own emergency plan to prepare for this situation. EBS hopes that these recommendations can benefit plants faced with this threat.
For both ASB and activated sludge systems, there are specific key parameters that facilities should focus on.
Key parameters to focus on with either system are:
- System Volume
- Retention Time
- Degree of Biomass Loss
- Time Without Oxygen
- Time Without Food
These factors should be examined when deciding whether to add bacteria, nutrients, or food. When a storm hits, getting supplies on-site may be very difficult.
We recommend that plants have a stock of one or more of the following on-site as part of their emergency plan:
- Bacteria blend – In case of washout or loss of power. Our BioStar™ or MicroStar™ can help re-seed the system with a population of bacteria capable of performing under a wide range of dissolved oxygen concentrations.
- BAC Unit – Help increase bioaugmentation efforts between 2-3 orders of magnitude within 24 hours.
- Nutrient – Customized macronutrient and micronutrient blends such as MacroGro™ can help ensure the biomass remains healthy and can synthesize new cells needed for optimal BOD removal.
- Food source – In case a facility is shut down due to loss of power. MicroCarb™ will help sustain the bacterial population so that it can respond adequately as the system recovers.
- Oxygen source – O2 deficiency can arise when aerators for down. Having a supplemental oxygen source such as Calcium Nitrate solution on-site can help quickly reduce the negative impacts of oxygen-deficient conditions and prevent to formation of Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S).
EBS has a proven record of helping sites restart their system after outages that have lasted a few days to several months. Contact us to help develop a cost-effective, customized plan for your unique system.